- Sector: Specialist Care
- Location: South UK
- Investment date: 2022
- Investment structure: Majority investment
- Why did we invest: We identified the specialist care sector as an attractive and defensive market due to its high barriers to entry and clear long-term, non-cyclical growth trends. Mysa Care is a well-run business with a good reputation for providing quality care and holds good relationships with local commissioners - making the business a good platform investment.
About Mysa Care:
Mysa Care group operates four freehold homes with 37 beds in total, located in Hampshire and Surrey. Mysa Care provides high-quality residential care and support for adults with learning disabilities, physical disabilities, epilepsy and autism.
Downing’s relationship with Mysa Care:
Mysa Care’s CEO and operations director were looking to step down and retire. This presented an opportunity to acquire a majority stake in the high-quality specialist care business as a platform to drive further growth and build a market-leading specialist care provider. Downing identified and brought in a new management team.
Downing’s continued support and investment in Mysa Care is another example of the Development Capital team’s investment strategy in action – a commitment to the growth and development of UK-based businesses providing social good in generally underserved markets. Throughout the relationship, Downing has provided several value-add activities:
- Sourcing and introducing a new experienced CEO to run Mysa Care
- Putting in place a bespoke funding solution that creates alignment with management and provides capital for future growth opportunities
- Providing access to Downing’s network of advisors and brokers to identify and execute growth opportunities
- Providing access to Downing’s in-house resources, including our construction director, head of ESG, legal team and investment team
- Providing strategic input and support, including helping set out the growth strategy, bolstering the central team, helping to re-brand the business and improving the finance function.
- Making quick decisions to help the group capitalise on growth opportunities
The future for Mysa Care:
In the future, Downing will look to develop Mysa Care into a national, market-leading specialist care platform. Mysa Care is looking to grow organically, as well as consolidate the market through selective M&A. There are also plans to expand into supported living, which is seen as a significant growth market in specialist care.